This cover from Royal Mail commemorates the TV phenomenon, Game of Thrones, based on the books by George R R Martin. I have never seen it, so I hope this means more to you than it does to me. It is probably the sort of thing I would like to watch, but I don’t think I have the right kind of TV.
Country: United Kingdom
Date of Issue: 23rd January 2018 (first day cover)
This is another example of the character-based, TV/movie tie-in cover that Royal Mail seems to like – and with 10 designs! (100 years of the RAF and they only got six…) This trend divides opinion on the letters pages of the philately magazines that I read. I suppose Royal Mail hopes to pick up additional revenue from fans. I don’t mind this kind of issue, and I like the Star Wars and Dr Who covers that Royal Mail has issued, but unlike other issues on topics that I am not familiar with, this Game of Thrones issue leaves me a bit cold. Whereas I would normally think “that’s interesting”, all I could think of when I saw this cover was “that’s Sean Bean”.
Top row, from left to right
- Sansa Stark (played by Sophie Turner)
- Jon Snow (played by Kit Harrington)
- Eddard Stark (played by Sean Bean)
- Olenna Tyrell (played by Diana Rigg)
- Tywin Lannister (played by Charles Dance)
Bottom row, from left to right
- Tyrion Lannister (played by Peter Dinklage)
- Cersei Lannister (played by Lena Headey)
- Arya Stark (played by Maisie Williams)
- Jaime Lannister (played by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau)
- Daenerys Targaryen (played by Emilia Clarke)
It’s All About the Seven Kingdoms
The insert to the cover provides a synopsis of the series. Click the image below for easier reading.