This cover from Royal Mail commemorates the Endurance expedition to cross the south pole, led by Ernest Shackleton. The expedition did not succeed, and Shackleton and his team faced a battle for survival to escape the Antarctic.
Country: United Kingdom
Date of Issue: 7th January 2016 (first day cover)
Top row, left to right:
- Entering the Antarctic ice – December 1914
- Endurance trapped in pack ice – January 1915
- Striving to free Endurance – February 1915
- Trapped in a pressure crack – October 1915
Bottom row, left to right:
- Patience Camp – December 1915-April 1916
- Safe arrival at Elephant island – April 1916
- Setting out for South Georgia – April 1916
- Rescue of Endurance crew – August 1916
About the Expedition
The insert to the cover provides more details of the story of the doomed expedition. Click the image below for easier reading.