This cover from Royal Mail commemorates the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
Country: United Kingdom
Date of Issue: 16th July 2015 (first day cover)
The stamps feature wonderful photographs from Britain in 1940, including images of the iconic British fighter aircraft, the Hawker Hurricane and the Supermarine Spitfire.
The cover carries a souvenir sheet of the issue, which features Britain’s wartime prime minister, Sir Winston Churchill, and his famous words honouring the pilots and crews who fought to save Britain from invasion:
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.
Top row, left to right
- Pilots scramble to their Hurricanes
- Supermarine Spitfires on patrol
- Armourer replaces ammunition boxes
Bottom row, left to right
- Spotters of the Auxiliary Territorial Service (The women’s branch of the British Army)
- Operations Room at Bentley Priory (RAF Fighter Command)
- Pilots of 32 Squadron await orders
The insert to the cover provides some background to the wartime events of the summer of 1940 and information about the aerial battle that ensued. Click the image below for easier reading.