This cover from Royal Mail commemorates the 200th anniverasary of the Battle of Waterloo.
Country: United Kingdom
Date of Issue: 18th June 2015 (first day cover)
At Waterloo, the Duke of Wellington’s coalition army of British, Dutch, and Prussian cavalry and soldiers defeated the French army of Napoleon Bonaparte, leading to the fall of the French Empire. The battle secured peace in Europe for almost half a century. The site of this historic battle is in modern-day Belgium.
The stamps feature 6 scenes from the battle depicted in paintings:
Top row, left to right:
- Defence of the Chateau de Hougoumont by the Flank Company, Coldstream Guards, 1815, by Denis Dighton in 1815
- The Battle of Waterloo: The Charge of the Second Brigade of Cavalry, by Denis Dighton from 1815-1817
- Attack on the British Squares by French Cavalry, Battle of Waterloo, 1815, by Denis Dighton in 1815
Bottom row, left to right:
- The Defence of the Farm La Haye Sainte, Battle of Waterloo, by Adolf Northern, 1858
- Prussian Troops Storm the Village of Plancenoit during the Battle of Waterloo, by Adolf Northern in 1863
- The Battle of Waterloo, by Sir William Allan, 1843
The insert to the cover provides a map of the battle lines on the day. Click the image below for easier reading.