This cover from Royal Mail features 8 inventions from the United Kingdom that shape our world today.
Country: United Kingdom
Date of Issue: 19th February 2015 (first day cover)
Top row, left to right
- Colossus: the world’s first electronic computer (1943)
- World Wide Web: no explanation needed (1993)
- Catseyes: road safety device (1934)
- Fibre Optics: high-speed network communication cables (1966)
Bottom row, left to right
- Stainless Steel: a metal alloy that is resistant to corrosion (1913)
- Carbon Fibre: a plastic that is stronger and lighter than metal (1964)
- DNA Sequencing: a breakthrough in the understanding of our DNA code (1970s)
- i-Limb: a revolutionary artificial limb with individually powered fingers controlled by electrical signals from the brain (2007)
Age of Discovery
The insert to the cover provides more information about these inventions and also their inventors. Click the image below for easier reading.