This first day cover from Royal Mail is the first in a 5-year series commemorating the Great War, on the 100th anniversary of the war. The cover commemorates wartime events from 1914. Country: United Kingdom Date of Issue: 28th July 2014 Date of Cover: 28th July 2014 (first day cover, with commemorative cancel)
Top row, left to right:
- Poppy, by Fiona Strickland, botanical artist.
- For The Fallen, by Laurence Binyon, poet and senior curator at the British Museum.
- Private William Cecil Tickle. Pvt Tickle was underage when he enlisted in 1914. He died in the Battle of the Somme, 1916.
Bottom row, left to right
- A Star Shell, by Christopher Richard Wynne Nevinson. Nevinson went to war as a Red Cross orderly, and later become an official war artist.
- The Response, by William Goscombe John. A memorial sculpture depicting volunteers leaving home for France.
- A gift box from Princess Mary’s fund, launched in 1914 to send a Christmas gift to every British soldier and sailor at war.
The insert to the cover provides more details about the people and subjects on these stamps. Click the image below for easier reading.